Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-17 02:33:14

On 17 Dec 2013 at 10:51, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> >> what dependency support would you want implemented?
> >
> > Nothing crazy:
> > http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2013/10/207600.php. You'll note
> > there I mention build bot and automated sanity test runs there too.
>
> Making Boost's Jamroot run a script on a start is quite trivial.
> [snip]
> sounds possible? On the other, I am not sure I understand your design goal.

It isn't that adding trivial dependency module support isn't trivial
to implement, it's rather enforcing some script name and/or merging
more formal support into Boost.Build and then adding in the
dependencies to every Boost library.

> I am quite surely don't want any git checkouts or fetches to happen when
> I just build.

You do if you have just cloned for the first time some Boost library.
Let's take one of mine, AFIO. AFIO needs Boost.Thread (headers),
Boost.ASIO (headers and/or libraries) and Boost.Filesystem (headers
and libraries) to compile. Right now the end user would have to fetch
each dependency by hand manually. I'm saying it would be nice if the
build system took care of that for you.

I'm also saying that if correctly designed, a good dependency markup
design would also let you regress breaking changes by figuring out
what pruned subset of unit tests to run.

> > tldr: I got told to stop discussing here and go to ryppl.
>
> I am somewhat lost about that ryppl thing. It seems clear that this attempt to clone
> Maven for C++ projects is not taking off, so I don't know why directing people to
> random mailing lists is gonna be helpful.

Well, when did Boost ever not use C++ for everything? :)

As much as Maven is okay, it's still just okay. Ideally we would have
a build and dependency system which understands clang ASTs and
therefore could be far more optimal for C++.

Lot of work to build such a tool though. Or even extend Maven with
such intelligence.

Meanwhile, a simple nasty .bat/.sh file per git repo would actually
work right now, little effort involved apart from creation of legacy
baggage.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/