Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Submodule's readme and logo
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-17 03:25:43

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Niall Douglas
<s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2013 at 10:51, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> I am quite surely don't want any git checkouts or fetches to happen when
>> I just build.
>
> You do if you have just cloned for the first time some Boost library.
> Let's take one of mine, AFIO. AFIO needs Boost.Thread (headers),
> Boost.ASIO (headers and/or libraries) and Boost.Filesystem (headers
> and libraries) to compile. Right now the end user would have to fetch
> each dependency by hand manually. I'm saying it would be nice if the
> build system took care of that for you.

-1

I'd like the build system to do just that - build. What you want is a
dependency tracking system. Whether it should be interoperable with
the build system is a valid question, but it has to be distinct and
probably support different build systems (in case of Boost it would be
bjam and cmake).

I had cursory (and mostly unpleasant) experience with depot tools [1],
but it might be interesting for you.

[1] http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/install-depot-tools