Subject: Re: [boost] Soliciting for feedback
From: Vadim Stadnik (vadimstdk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-11 22:48:44

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Aleksandr Kupriianov <alexkupri_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hi again, boost community!
> After some time of hesitating, I re-implemented the container.
> Shortly speaking, the container has interface like vector, but performs
> insertions/deletions much faster (random access, however, a bit slower).
> It takes O(log(N)) for insertions, deletions, random access, near O(1) for
> iterative access. It performs random insertions/deletions faster than
> vector
> in absolute values (not only in O() terms) on all range of container size.

Hi Aleksandr,

IMO, the data structure and container that you developed are quite useful.
Any data structure or container that outperforms std::vector<T> is
important in practice, since std::vector<T> is the default and the most
frequently used standard container. Linear computational complexity of its
update operations can significantly affect performance of user algorithms.
This is why I suggest keep improving your code and project.

The first problem is that your files do not include Boost license. If you
are planning to submit your project for Boost review please check this list
of requirements:

http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html

As for documentation, it is necessary to explain benefits of your data
structure and container. It would be helpful to provide examples of
applications in which the new container can replace std::vector<T> with
significant performance gain. You can use already available examples
discussed in my and other similar projects, but it would be even more
impressive if you add some new examples.

It is also highly desirable to include a section that explains the design
of your data structure. One or two figures that illustrate the method of
augmenting would help every interested programmer to better understand your
achievements.

Thank you for comparing performance with my containers. A bit later I will
test your container and will write more comments.

Regards,

Vadim Stadnik