Subject: Re: [boost] [winrt support] Adding support for Windows 8 store/phone to Boost libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 22:52:42

On 07/21/2014 08:09 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2014 at 18:00, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> On 7/21/2014 3:03 PM, stgates wrote:
>>> For those interested some of these changes have made it back into Boost now.
>>> Here is blog post
>>> <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/07/18/using-boost-libraries-in-windows-store-and-phone-applications.aspx>
>>> explaining how to use and including vcvars setup scripts for Windows Phone
>>> 8.1 which were missing from Visual Studio 2013.
>>
>> Have any of the regression tests been testing your changes in the
>> 'develop' branch ? In particular have any further tests for the
>> libraries which you mention in your blog been made specifically to test
>> their integration with Windows Store and Windows Phone applications ?
>
> Steve's pull request for Boost.Thread is being held back by me until
> the 1.57 release as I currently don't have the CI facilities to
> verify for myself it works to my satisfaction.

Boost could really do with the idea that we should be able to run and
publish a regression test for some library that is not either the
'develop' or 'master' branch. That way someone with facilities to test a
change could publish regression tests based on that change for others,
like yourself in this case, who may want to accept a pull request but
naturally needs to know that it tests OK before doing so. While pull
requests are a good idea, having to blindly accept one at any time
without verifying it for oneself is not as I am sure everyone knows. So
I fully understand your problem, but we need a more generalized solution
to it.

Maybe someone on the Boost Build/Regression Tests side of things would
know how to setup and publish a regression test for a single library off
of some non-'develop' and non-'master' branch so that the test results
are accessible to others.

> Hell, I don't even
> have AFIO being CI tested right now, modularisation foobared
> everything, but the CI orchestration work being done for AFIO will be
> reusable for Boost.Thread. And my Windows CI is now Win8.1 instead of
> XP, so now I can bring VS2012 and VS2013 into the soak test runs.

I am not even on Win 8 yet, but luckily the latest Visual Studio
releases still run under Windows 7. But of course I can't test new
Windows 8 features as they relate to Boost until I install Win 8 ( or
Win 8.1 ).