Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-01 20:39:21

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Paul Fultz II <pfultz2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The library looks nice

Thanks!

> I tried to run the tests and install it using cmake and it both failed.

If you could please be so kind as to create an issue on the Beast
GitHub repository page with the details, I will try to address it
right away:
https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/issues

> Also, looking at the cmake, it looks like you use coroutines.

Beast is header-only, the Jamfile and CMakeLists.txt are only for
building the unit tests and the examples. As far as linking goes, you
should only need Boost.System (for error_code). Some of the unit tests
use coroutines, to make sure that they work and also as a tool to
assist reaching a high level of code coverage.

You shouldn't need either the Jamfile or the CMakeLists.txt found in
the repository in order to use Beast.

> I would prefer not to have an HTTP library that depends on Boost.Context
> due to portability issues(the author refuses to support mingw).

I have no plans to add Boost.Context as a dependency, Beast uses the
Universal Asynchronous Model which abstracts the completion token (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3747.pdf).

There is at least one mingw Beast user, they kindly provided minor
fixes to make Beast work there:
https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/commit/38f0d950b06059f5c671b3e381344fc782fac499

If you have any other problems or questions please don't hesitate to
open a GitHub issue, that's the best way to get things fixed or
answered.

Hope you enjoy Beast!