Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Request for Discussion
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-02 19:49:50

> On Oct 2, 2016, at 6:21 AM, Oliver Kowalke <oliver.kowalke_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Boost.Context only builds for mingw if you have a MSVC assembler.
>

> no - if you build boost.context on Windows you can use MSCV or MinGW. The
> library selects the assembler tool provided by the compiler, e.g. MSVC ->
> MASM, MinGW -> GNU as
> please take a look at boost's regression tests - maybe your informations
> are up-to-date

I did look at the assembly files. As there was only x86 `.S` files for elf and mach-o, I assumed they were missing, but the windows assembler are named like `*_gas.asm`. The different extension through me off. Sorry for the confusion.

>> However, the author has refused to accept those patches unfortunately.
>

> the patches were incorrect
>

>> When I build boost on ubuntu for mingw, I disable Boost.Context, which
>> would mean disabling Boost.Beast as well.
>>

> should not be a problem as long as you provide the correct properties at b2
> command line (architecture, address-model, binary-format, abi ...) for
> cross compiling.

Awesome!

> it is nearly impossible to provide assembler implementations for all
> combinations of architecture + address-model + abi + binary format +
> compiler/assembler (especially to have those systems to develop on)?
> but you are welcome to provide a correct/valid support for your
> combination/needs

Yes, I understand. I don’t expect it to support every combination out there, but mingw on linux is common.

I do wonder, if on C++11, it could have an option to fallback on threads when its on an unsupported platform. It would work, just not efficiently.

>> Also, Boost.Asio works fine as it doesn’t use Boost.Coroutine nor
>> Boost.Context.
>>

> boost.asio's spawn/yield uses boost.coroutine and works well too

I was unaware of this. I guess being header-only it depends on what features are used.

Thanks,
Paul