From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-06 11:36:02

Vinnie Falco wrote:
> > what do you think about creating a GitHub Action to automatically merge
> develop to master once the CI on develop succeeds
>
> No I don't like that at all because it implies that a Boost-tier
> author or maintainer is not capable of the simple task of keeping
> master up to date with develop. If they are not capable of that, then
> I can't help but wonder what else they are incapable of.

One empirical correlation is between maintainers who forget to merge
to master and maintainers who merge broken PRs into develop.

That's one of the current functions of the develop branch - to isolate
the master branch (at least somewhat) from breakage.

Yes, we do have a problem with fixes not getting to master, but what
the people arguing against the current scheme don't realize is that if
we drop it, we'll have different problems, and the end result will not
necessarily be an improvement. (My prediction is "far from it.")