From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-06 15:13:14

On 11/6/23 14:09, Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Maybe there are other ideas how to avoid commits unmerged to master?
>
> You avoid them by making sure to merge.
>
>> what do you think about creating a GitHub Action to automatically merge develop to master once the CI on develop succeeds
>
> No I don't like that at all because it implies that a Boost-tier
> author or maintainer is not capable of the simple task of keeping
> master up to date with develop. If they are not capable of that, then
> I can't help but wonder what else they are incapable of. Will they
> forget to write unit tests, or add documentation for newly committed
> code?

I wouldn't go that far. We're all humans (as far as I'm aware), and most
of us work on Boost on our spare time. Shit happens. I see nothing wrong
about looking for a way to reduce the opportunities for shit to happen.

> If you want automation, how about sending a reminder email "There are
> unmerged changes in develop which are at least a week old."

Yeah, that's one way to do this. But why not go one step further and
just merge it?