Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Parallel Builds on Windows
From: Ingo Albrecht (ingo.albrecht_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-09 05:13:03

Bill Hoffman schrieb:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:58 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> But the real problem here is that anyone wanting to contribute a
>>> testing
>>> server will have a tough time making good use of his hardware, because
>>> --- unless I'm mistaken --- you can't automate the VS-based builds.
>>>
>>> ...or am I missing something?
>>
>> Isn't that what msbuild does?
>>

> It is totally automated. You can run devenv /build on the command
> line or use msbuild, they do not pop up a gui. ctest uses devenv
> /build. All of this is already automated by ctest. The question is
> about log scrapping, which needs to be done. However, vs does create
> html logs during the build, and you should be able to use them with
> not too much effort.
This is no longer true. Since VS2005, there is another tool called vcbuild
that does not only emit messages on its stdout but can also dump them
into a good old text file. As I already noted earlier, it can also prefix
lines with specific severity levels with strings provided on the command
line.

It even has an advantage over make in that it can separate messages
from parallel jobs correctly.

This tool is also available in the free Express Edition.