From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-03 10:32:28

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:53:09 +0200, Daniel Lidström
<daniel.lidstrom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Daniel,

> [...]I am very interested in the file monitor you have created. Would
> you mind
> sharing it
> as an advanced usage example of Asio?
>
> Maybe I have misunderstood something, but it looks to me as if Asio
> contains
> an
> asynchronous event model that can be used for *any* type of event. Not
> just
> IO-based.
> Can you say that this is the case?

yes, this is true! There is not much documentation though to learn how to
create services for Boost.Asio. I got some help from Christoph and tried
to understand the code in Boost.Asio. I didn't want to create a file
monitor originally but as it's a rather simple service it was a good test
to see if I understood everything. :) As it is a rather simple service it
might be a good reference implementation for others though.

I uploaded the file monitor now to
http://www.highscore.de/boost/file_monitor.zip

The zip archive contains a README file where I wrote down everything I
learned about Boost.Asio services and what might be helpful for others to
know when they start to create their own services.

Hope it helps,
Boris