From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-09 12:03:51

At 11:58 AM 12/9/99 -0000, Moore, Paul wrote:

>or should I put my abs() into namespace std ...

The Boost policy is to avoid adding names to namespace std.

Here is what the standard says:

17.4.3.1 Reserved names [lib.reserved.names]

It is undefined for a C++ program to add declarations or definitions
to namespace std or namespaces within namespace std unless otherwise
specified. A program may add template specializations for any
standard library template to namespace std. Such a specialization
(complete or partial) of a standard library template results in
undefined behavior unless the declaration depends on a user-defined
name of external linkage and unless the specialization meets the
standard library requirements for the original template.
<<<<

--Beman