From: Miki Jovanovic (miki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-30 22:37:23

dave abrahams <abraham-_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Someone had better try another compiler. Both of these have
essentially a
> setjump/longjump exception-handling implementation and so will
undoubtedly
> display steep overheads in places where they could be avoided. Is the
> current "best/latest" test code available in the vault? Someone
should try
> this with CodeWarrior.

I have to disagree. While we should probably try more platforms for
objectivity sake, MSVC++ 6 is one of the most widely used compilers out
there (basically we, and many others have to use it at work). So
performance comparison on MSVC++ build is VERY relevant for me. After
all, I need to keep in mind performance in a real life environment, as
well as academic 'best case' environment.

Cheers,

Miki Jovanovic.

P.S. For the record, MSVC++ was forced on me and I have to use it for
the $$$ sake. I, too, would have preferred one of the better compilers
if I had a choice.