From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-30 23:08:08

on 1/30/00 10:37 PM, Miki Jovanovic at miki_at_[hidden] wrote:

> I have to disagree. While we should probably try more platforms for
> objectivity sake, MSVC++ 6 is one of the most widely used compilers out
> there (basically we, and many others have to use it at work). So
> performance comparison on MSVC++ build is VERY relevant for me. After
> all, I need to keep in mind performance in a real life environment, as
> well as academic 'best case' environment.

I don't think you're disagreeing. I didn't mean anything other than that
these two particular compilers have a very particular implementation
strategy in common which might affect the results, and it would be worth
seeing what kind of results are available with other implementations. I
certainly don't think the results with MSVC are insignificant.

[FWIW - some other gcc builds don't pay this penalty, though many do]