From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-07-05 15:18:19

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Wow! That was fast! We haven't even scheduled the review yet!

That wasn't meant as a review comment, but a response to
the "does it work with gcc" question.

> Does that mean you are volunteering to be Formal Review Manager for John's
> regular expression library?

Thanks for the offer. Are the two paragraphs in formal_review_process.htm
all the documentation we currently have about what a review
manager has to do? If so, I accept.

> Perhaps a longish (three weeks?) review period, as the library is fairly
> large and people go on vacation time at this time of year.

Before we start the formal review, I would like to focus
boost's attention to the configuration scripts enclosed with
regex.zip: regex.zip does not use "boost/config.hpp", but has
an "autoconf"-based configuration system with a few pre-built
configurations (egcs, MSVC, BCC).

I agree that regex is a substantial submission, but I worry a
bit about this obvious non-integration into the rest of boost.
Beman, what does your regression test framework say about this?

Note that the "autoconf" script tests lots of interesting
mis-features which may be worthwile additions to boost/config.hpp.
Other #defines are repeated, for example BOOST_RE_NO_TEMPLATE_FRIEND
seems to mirror BOOST_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATE_FRIENDS.

Before calling the formal review, I think a bit more general
discussion about these issues would be helpful.

Jens Maurer