From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-05 10:10:51

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daryle Walker" <darylew_at_[hidden]>

> This is mainly for David Abrahams and Jeremy Siek. Have you guys had a
> chance to look at (version 9 of) dlw_oprs.zip, which adds new operator
> templates, changes some related stuff, and has reworked docs? If I'm
asking
> too soon, I apologize; I don't know how long this stuff usually takes.
And
> I think you guys been working on other major stuff too (py_cpp and
graphing,
> respectively).

Yeah, py_cpp is taking a lot of my time, but I'll take a few minutes to look
at your stuff. It went through a few cycles; I wasn't sure when you were
finished with it.

The first thing I noticed was that there was some arbitrary reformatting of
code. For example, where the previous version contained this fragment:

  P operator->() const
  {
    return &*static_cast<const T&>(*this);
  }

your version contains this:

     P operator->() const
          { return &*static_cast<const T&>(*this); }

I don't care very much how it's formatted, though truth be told I prefer the
original formatting. Once again, I appreciate all the work you've done in
this area, but I'd like to ask you to keep /arbitrary/ changes to a minimum.
They only serve to make it harder to evaluate an update and in the worst
case can destabilize working code.

> On a related note, should the three separate copyright notices be kept?
Or

> // (C) Copyright David Abrahams, Jeremy Siek, and Daryle Walker 1999-2000.
> // Permission to copy, use, modify, sell and distribute this software is
> // granted provided this copyright notice appears in all copies. This
> // software is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty, and
> // with no claim as to its suitability for any purpose.

That would be fine with me

-Dave