From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-06 11:05:08

At 09:24 PM 11/4/2000 -0500, Daryle Walker wrote:

>Right now, we have the "lib" directory hold a particular library's
>documentation, essential source code, and example/test source
code. Maybe
>we should separate some of this stuff to other directories. The
essential
>source code could stay in "lib" and the documentation could move to a
"doc"
>directory. Example and/or test code could be grouped with the docs or go

>in
>another directory. We would have to change any links in the
documentation
>to compensate for any new directories. This was talked about
approximately
>a month ago; any progress?

No. Sigh.

I guess we need a policy something like this (to allow for both simple and
complex libraries):

* All libraries have at their highest level a primary directory named for
the particular library. The primary directory may have sub-directories.

* For very simple libraries implemented entirely within the library header,
all files go in the primary directory (except headers, which go in the
boost header directory).

* Libraries which are not implemented entirely within the header should
have a sub-directory named "src" which contains the files which must be
compiled to build the library.

* Libraries with more than one or two documentation files should have a
"docs" sub-directory containing those files.

* Libraries with more that one or two test programs should have a "tests"
sub-directory containing those files.

* Libraries with more that one or two example programs should have a
"examples" sub-directory containing those files.

* Libraries with more than one or two of any other kind of file should
place those files in an appropriately named sub-directory.

Comments?

--Beman