From: Ed Brey (brey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-08 11:52:04

From: "David Allan Finch" <sarum_at_[hidden]>
> > We use html document because it allows formating and is light weight. I
can't see doc's for a library having a cascading style sheet associated with
them. Maybe on the web site (and I think it
> > would be overkill then) but for anything smaller.
>
> Personal I don't really care, but I think your assumption is wrong.
> The information has a type, it is a quote. Marking it as such helps
> your browser display it correctly. I expect that some day browsers
> will allow you to specify your own css to use if one is not set.

That day is already here. With Internet Explorer, you can set your own
default CSS: Tools->Options->General->Accessibility->User style sheet.

As for library docs using CSS-like technology, there is already tremendous
president. Consider UNIX man pages; they are the exact same concept, only
not as powerful. The page describes the category of each section of text,
separating the formatting out of the content. This is as lightweight as you
can get. Since the library docs are part of the web site, it makes sense
for the library docs to link into the general library CSS. This system
would provide a consistent, easily maintainable look and feel to the
documentation, and keep formatting details out of the library docs HTML
files.

As a modern example, take a look at Microsoft's API documentation. You can
say what you like about the quality of their content, but it would be hard
to argue against the readability of their presentation. Of course, I
wouldn't be surprised to find that they use non-standard IE-specifics, just
because they're Microsoft, but the fact remains that HTML 4 and CSS 2
provide amble flexibility for excellent visual presentation without using
any vendor-specific extensions or deprecated features.

OTOH, this assumes a critical mass of close enough to conformant browsers,
which we don't have. Too bad Netscape is holding up the show. :-(