From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-08 13:27:17

I had an epiphany after reading this: mandatory *.cpp files must be in a
directory completely separate from the doc/example/test hierarchy. This
would be similar to the mandatory *.hpp files having a separate directory.
The reason: as long as the mandatory *.cpp files are mixed with support
files, there is always the chance that the compiler could accidentally grab
a nonessential file in its search algorithm.

This new suggestion would mean that an user would just have to put the two
mandatory Boost directories in the search path. Other suggestions would
mean that the user would have to individually specify each sub-library's
"src" directory, or include the whole "lib" hierarchy (like now) and risk
example or test code being grabbed. The current system also means that all
contributors have to ensure filenames are unique across "lib." Messing this
up is kind-of bad if the identically named files are all example or test
code; but it's game-over if at least one of these files is mandatory.

So the structure could be:

boost/ + still holds mandatory *.hpp files
c++boost.gif + still a logo picture
index.htm + still the first doc file
libraries.htm + still the main doc file
libs/ + holds only docs and non-mandatory source code
more/ + still holds extra doc files
people/ + still has member profiles
people.htm + still the intro for member profiles
README + still a simple introduction file
src/ + holds the mandatory *.cpp files

The sub-directory structure of "src/" can mirror that of "boost/."

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie