From: Dan Nuffer (dnuffer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 11:26:08

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Yes, let's at least consider adding a boost_all.tar.gz. I'd like to build
> it with identical content to boost_all.zip. How complex a shell script is
> required? Can you point me to a Win32 version of a tar.gz encoder that is
> known to produce files maximally useful by unix/linux decoders? I'd need
> help from unix/linux users to test the resulting .tar.gz to make sure it
> does what it is supposed to do.
>
> --Beman

I think the best tar you could get on Win32 is the actual GNU tar and
gzip, the win32 versions are available in the Cygwin package available
from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
Besides tar and gzip, you also get most of the standard unix utilities,
which makes using the command line on windows MUCH more enjoyable :-)

The last time I used it was over a year ago, and it works great, but the
installation wasn't very automated. Maybe it's improved by now.

--Dan Nuffer