From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 16:25:18

At 09:26 AM 11/29/2000 -0700, Dan Nuffer wrote:

>I think the best tar you could get on Win32 is the actual GNU tar and
>gzip, the win32 versions are available in the Cygwin package available
>from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
>Besides tar and gzip, you also get most of the standard unix utilities,
>which makes using the command line on windows MUCH more enjoyable :-)
>
>The last time I used it was over a year ago, and it works great, but the
>installation wasn't very automated. Maybe it's improved by now.

Duh... They are already installed on my system!

I've just tried tar and gz, and they seem to work pretty well. But I'm
having trouble understanding how the --exclude-from option works. I might
be forced to actually read the documentation to discover what "globbing
patterns" are. I'll keep experimenting.

--Beman