From: William Kempf (sirwillard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-11-29 15:45:57

--- In boost_at_[hidden], "William Kempf" <sirwillard_at_m...> wrote:
> --- In boost_at_[hidden], Dan Nuffer <dnuffer_at_c...> wrote:
> > William Kempf wrote:
> > Yeah, that is kind of a lot to install, just to create a tar.gz
> file. I
> > did a search on winfiles.com and there are probably 100 different
> free
> > win32 compression programs that say that they handle tar.gz. I
> can't
> > give any pointers, since I've only used WinZip, which will read
> tar.gz
> > files, but not create them.
>
> There are native tar and gzip executables for Win32. I used native
> ports in DOS almost a Decade ago, and those would still work with
> Win32. If I find the time I'll try to search the site I gave
earlier
> to give a specific URL for these tools.

The main MinGW site I posted only leads you to a port of gzip, which
can be found at:

ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/ports/gzip-
1.2.4a-mingw32.zip

However, I did find a MinGW based port of both gzip and tar at this
address:

http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

Bill Kempf