From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-06 10:56:21

Daniel:
>Peter's approach may also be useful in other cases. I wonder if it
>makes sense to start an "advanced FAQ" on boost or something like that
>to present solutions to this kind of problems and common ideas from
>other boost classes / libraries.

Kevlin,
>I had been pondering the idea of an idiom and design techniques
>catalogue, ie a kind of design handbook (descriptive not prescriptive)
>for Boost, and I think your suggestion is very much that. Even if it
>just starts as a skeletal collection of names, uses and references to
>other works that describe it, I think this would be a generally useful
>piece of information.

Interesting you should mention that. Just yesterday Ron Garcia suggested
essentially the same thing. So if Kevlin, Ron or anyone else would like to
pull together an initial version, I'm sure it would be used and
appreciated, and that others would contribute additional items over time.

One additional thought. In some ways such a design handbook would/might
build on Scott Meyer's books. You might contact him to see if he is
already working on a third book. No point in duplicating effort.

--Beman