From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-12 13:03:54

Lois Goldthwaite wrote:

>Surely we can come up with a system flexible enough to accommodate both
>the people who want a single all-encompassing libboost.so, and those who
>want the granularity of individual mini-libs.

That's a really positive thought. Thanks, Lois!

I'm not going to quote Lois' entire message. Please go back and read it if
you haven't already. She describes a directory scheme which seems to meet
the goal set out above. It also appears easy to manage and maintain.

We may want to talk about a distinction between base libraries (most of the
current ones) and domain libraries (like graph and python). The base
libraries use each other a lot, and it is hard not to take them as a
whole. The domain libraries often use the base libraries, but don't often
use other domain libraries.

I'm not as sure about the makefiles, but that may be a separable issue.

--Beman