From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-12 20:51:34

At 03:56 PM 12/12/2000 -0700, Mark D Rintoul wrote:

>Jens Maurer wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve, I have been able to run the
>> boost regression tests on IRIX and Compaq Tru64 Unix. I've
>> added the results to the boost compiler status page.
>>
>> The main problem on both platforms is the lack of new-style
>> <cXXX> headers for the C standard library, which make the overall
>> results look slightly disappointing (only two tests pass).
>>
>> Should we try to hack around missing <cXXX> headers?
>> (I don't think so.)
>>
>> Jens Maurer
>
> Hmmm...okay, I'll bite. Why not? I agree that the source
>is already #defined to death, but there is really not a huge number
>of places to change this. I went through and counted them the other
>day and I think there was less than 20. A simple BOOST_STDC_HEADERS
>define and we long suffering IRIX users are on our way. As it is
>right now, I download the new version of boost and hack on the files
>I'm currently using to work on my SGI.

I'd like to make sure I understand the issue. Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

The implementation doesn't contain <cwhatever> headers. Boost uses
<cwhatever> headers.

The problem can be hacked around by #include <whatever.h> and then doing
the usual namespace std { using ::somename; ... } trick.

There are two places to apply this hack:

   1) Do it in the boost headers at the point of the original #include,
controlled by #ifdef's. Downside: messes up the boost headers. Has to be
applied in every new boost header, as they are added. Although because of
the Microsoft almost-C++ compiler, the namespace part of the trick has to
be done anyhow.

   2) Provide a set of dummy <cwhatever> headers, containing the
hack. Users would presumably include these headers in their search path
only if their standard library implementation didn't supply the <cwhatever>
headers. Downside: it might appear boost was blessing these broken
implementations.

Is this a correct analysis?

--Beman