From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-12-16 12:22:15

> From: Jesse Jones [mailto:jejones_at_[hidden]]

> <snip>

> It's true that most vendors
> do a poor job of catching precondition violations, but there's no reason
> for boost to go along with this.

If they do a "poor job" of catching precondition violations, what is the
alternate solution? Doing a "poor job" of generating efficient code? At
what point do we draw the line? I think the "Safe STL" provides iterators
that will check the precondition of operator*; should we do the same?

> I strongly support liberal usage of assertions in boost.

assert() itself in many cases cannot be used, due to ODR (one definition
rule) problems. I would be persuaded if we could find an assertion
replacement that:
  1) Has no overhead in release code
  2) Avoids ODR problems

You might want to read the "assert() replacement?" thread long, long, ago on
Boost:
  http://www.egroups.com/message/boost/637

        -Steve