From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-16 12:23:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sackett" <msackett_at_[hidden]>

> I'm having some trouble getting a simple Python extension built with
> boost/python to run cleanly under Python 2.0. As I'm somewhat new to
> STL/boost, I'm afraid I may not be taking basic steps needed to make
> boost/STL work well with MSVC 6.

Mike,

Sorry it took me so long to respond; my email account had temporarily
evaporated ;-(

> Are there standard tips/tricks for making boost and/or boost/python work
> acceptably well under MSVC?

The python library /has/ been heavily tested with MSVC6, but not as heavily
with Python 2.0. Alex Martelli did a bunch of testing with 2.0 but I don't
think he's been banging on it too much of late. I should probably upgrade to
2.0 but we've been using 1.5.2 at work... Maybe I'll try the upgrade at some
point this weekend.

> Please Note:
>
> * I'm willing to switch to a different STL implementation (other than
> Microsoft's) if that will make things go more smoothly.

Shouldn't be neccessary, though it might improve some things.

> * The problems I'm having (C++ exceptions being thrown by code which
> appears to be managing reference counts) only occur when I run a _DEBUG
> build (BOOST_DEBUG_PYTHON is on) under python_d (version 2.0). It runs
> cleanly as a release build under python.

Can you send me a test case which reproduces the problem? That would be very
helpful.

-Dave