From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-12-29 17:22:05

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Beman Dawes wrote:
beman> I've been wondering if library users might be better served by a web based
beman> forum, since they can just post questions from their browser without having
beman> to sign up for a mailing list. They could also review questions posted by
beman> others, and see the answers.
beman>
beman> For example, see the way Boris Fomitchev at STLport does it:
beman> http://www.stlport.com/cgi-bin/forum/dcboard.cgi
beman>
beman> I emailed Boris, asking about the DCForum software he uses to implement
beman> forums. His reply: "DCForum is great."

I'm OK with a web-based forum for users as long as I can answer questions
via email. At ND we use a web-based thing (jitterbug) and I hate it
because I have to use the web form to answer questions . I'd much rather
answer questions via email, and have the emails show up on the web page.

beman> >I'm not really certain what the mission of Boost is. If the mission
beman> >is just to have a place to develop quality libraries then expanding
beman> >the user base isn't really important. On the other hand if,
beman> >propagating the libraries is part of the mission, then I think some
beman> >thought should be given to the needs of engineers that might be
beman> >interested in using one or more Boost libraries, but only if a low
beman> >volume list is available (to help get started).
beman>
beman> Both developers and end users are important to the future of Boost,
beman> IMO. Several of us are actively working on other parts of the end user
beman> equation, like much better install and build procedures. But it is also
beman> time to look at the user support mailing-list or web-forum side of the
beman> equation.

I agree. Many people I talk to are intimidated by the volume of
boost mail. Splitting up mail, or using web-forums should help this.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906