From: boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-12 04:43:51

On Wednesday 11 April 2001 23:50, Hubert HOLIN wrote:
[...]
> Actually, a "special function" is any function one cares to
> name... Those in A&S are merely some of the most well-known
> (essentially because they are the most usefull).
>
> That being said, calling the file as I did
> "special_functions.hpp" is indeed pompously overblown...
>
> I would like the name to stay, however, if only as a place
> holder. It is my hope that it will serve as the nucleus of a bona fide
> special functions library (note that my implementations there are
> simply stop-gap entries of some of the functions I happened to need at
> some time or another, including for the quaternions, in addition to
> being ridiculously few). Ideally, this will encompass the successor to
> A&S (http://dlmf.nist.gov/). That will necessarilly entail the
This would be really great, but lots of work.

> > BTW: Looking at this package I wondered if someone is working
> > on Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and 3j, 6j and 9j symbols?
>
> P.S.: Well, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? ;-)
Besides being a nice thing to _have_, I'm not sure if implementing these
might be fun. But I'm afraid that around christmas this year I may have
a need for the 3j symbols. So I might boostify it if I find helpers to
discuss the implementation, e.g. should one store dynamically look-up tables
etc.

Bets wishes
Peter