From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-07 08:30:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Gregor" <gregod_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] about function.hpp

> I'm almost wondering if there really is a fundamental difference between
the
> two domains or if the lack of tools to enable the use of the "functor"
domain
> in C++ is the cause of the difference. If the binder and lambda libraries
> were generally available and understood, would we be so reliant on the
> standard callback types, to functions and member functions? I'll admit a
> large degree of bias here because I tend to use the "functor" domain quite
> often in my own code.

Even if the library only supported pointers to free functions and bound
pointers to member functions, it would be possible to use functors by
passing a bound 'operator ()'. Of course this makes ownership issues a
mess...

There is the possibility of making all 'boost::function's that contain
functors compare as unequal. There may also be the possibility of an
alternate 'boost::function' constructor which enables 'operator ==' for
functors (and requires that functors provide 'operator ==').

--
Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com