From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-04 12:58:24

--- In boost_at_y..., Dietmar Kuehl <dietmar_kuehl_at_y...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just in case anybody else is looking for the Jam sources: The
current
> release is available at <ftp://ftp.perforce.com/pub/jam/jam-
2.3.2.zip>.
> --
> <mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_y...> <http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>
> Phaidros eaSE - Easy Software Engineering:
<http://www.phaidros.com/>

I'd just like to get Jam bootstrapped on my Win2000 box.
The "installation" instructions leave a lot to be desired. I've set
an environment variable for MSVCNT to point to the ".. \microsoft
visual studio\vc98" directory and run nmake (I also uncommented the
MSVC lines in the makefile which was not mentioned in the readme).
It manages to create a jam0.exe but when executed by the makefile
this results in a fatal stop and the error message "On NT, set
BCCROOT, MSVCNT, or MSVC to the root of the Borland or Microsoft dire
ctories." being printed out. Anyone know if I've missed something
here? Bootstrapping Jam had better be simple if it's going to be the
Boost build tool. (I also worry about bootstrapping it on platforms
currently not accounted for in the Jam makefiles.)

Bill Kempf