From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-04 13:24:40

----- Original Message -----
From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 1:58 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Boost Build System

> --- In boost_at_y..., Dietmar Kuehl <dietmar_kuehl_at_y...> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > just in case anybody else is looking for the Jam sources: The
> current
> > release is available at <ftp://ftp.perforce.com/pub/jam/jam-
> 2.3.2.zip>.
> > --
> > <mailto:dietmar_kuehl_at_y...> <http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>
> > Phaidros eaSE - Easy Software Engineering:
> <http://www.phaidros.com/>
>
> I'd just like to get Jam bootstrapped on my Win2000 box.
> The "installation" instructions leave a lot to be desired. I've set
> an environment variable for MSVCNT to point to the ".. \microsoft
> visual studio\vc98" directory and run nmake (I also uncommented the
> MSVC lines in the makefile which was not mentioned in the readme).

This is odd. I don't remember having to do that. In fact, the version I have
on my system still has those lines commented out. I presume I bootstrapped
from that, so you probably should back those changes out.

> It manages to create a jam0.exe but when executed by the makefile
> this results in a fatal stop and the error message "On NT, set
> BCCROOT, MSVCNT, or MSVC to the root of the Borland or Microsoft dire
> ctories." being printed out. Anyone know if I've missed something
> here? Bootstrapping Jam had better be simple if it's going to be the
> Boost build tool. (I also worry about bootstrapping it on platforms
> currently not accounted for in the Jam makefiles.)

Well, it certainly was pretty trivial for me. Is it possible that your use
of a relative path to the MSVC tools confused the bootstrap?
One think I've always done was to avoid spaces in pathnames. You may need to
embed some extra quotes.

Anyway, I don't think this is the worst problem we could have. We have
agreed that we can supply prebuilt binaries for popular platforms if
neccessary. I'm confident that we can improve the bootstrap process, too, if
we feel it's important.

-Dave

P.S. If you still have trouble building, let me know and I'll post my jam
binary to the files area.