From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-05 12:13:56

--- In boost_at_y..., Gary Powell <Gary.Powell_at_s...> wrote:

> Most games are multi-threaded.

Most applications are not games ;). I'm not suggesting that any
library in Boost should not support building in multi-thread mode,
only that the default for <threading> be single.

> At a minimum the sound buffer for the music
> needs to run in its own thread or the music breaks up when the
scene gets
> texture rich.
>
> (Also due to the known errors in the single threaded MSVC
libraries, we
> always link the multithreaded ones. A dumb reason to do so, but you
do what
> works and ship it.)

I've never run into a bug in the single threaded msvcrt that didn't
also exist in the multi threaded msvcrt. What bugs are these?

In any event, in a situation like this it may be appropriate to
default <threading> to multi in <msvc> only. It still does not make
sense to set the general default to multi.

Bill Kempf