From: Jonathan H Lundquist (jhl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-05 12:30:02

There are many algorithms that benefit from a compile-time determination as
to whether memcpy, memset, etc. can be used. STLPort for one makes the
assumption that if the iterator is random access, and the value type is
appropriate, these can be used. However, I think a hypothetical iterator
could support random access without representing contiguous space. I think
a contiguous access iterator category, which is a random access iterator for
which ranges must be contiguous, should be provided.