From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-07-05 09:17:01

The Boost.Threads library has neared a point in which I want to
submit it for acceptance into Boost. Outstanding things I need to do
before requesting a review:

1) Modify the source to follow the (not yet submitted or accepted)
Boost Coding Guidelines. This is jumping the gun a little since the
Guidelines aren't official yet, but I suspect that most of it will
become official as it's written today, so I'm going to try and get a
head start. Better to do this now then do it later.

2) Update some documentation and add both a FAQ page and a Rationale
page.

3) As per submission guidelines I need to get this library to
compile on at least Windows and Linux, though I'd love to have it
compiling on as many platforms as possible before submission.

(1) and (2) I'll tackle myself, finishing within the week,
hopefully. (3) is more difficult. The only platform I have access
to is Windows. The only compilers are VC++ and GCC, and I've run
into problems with GCC that I simply don't know how to correct. At
least I've been able to compile for both WinThreads and POSIX
threads, thanks to pthread-win32, but we need better than this before
I can submit. So, I'm asking for some help here. If you're
interested in Boost.Threads for your compiler/platform I'd appreciate
it if you contacted me so we can try and get the Boost.Build stuff
and the library to work. At this point I'm especially interested in
doing this for non-Windows platforms, but as many platforms/compilers
as we can do this with the better.

Thanks,
Bill Kempf

(P.S. It would be best if you contacted me before trying to port just
so we don't duplicate any effort here. If someone else is working on
your compiler/platform there's no need for you to do any work here.
Plus I can give you help on using Boost.Build if you're not familiar
with it yet, as well as tell you how to access the CVS branch.)