From: Bernhard Glück (gluber_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-11 15:33:15

Hi

Thanks for all your input. My last question is as follows, I do not have
enough knowledge about templates and stuff to make the changes etc
myself.

I am working on a book called "Game Engine Design and Implementation
with DirectX 8.1" which is due to be finished on 14.12.2001 .... My
question is as follows. Should I switch to another scripting language,
export my classes manually to python or do you plan to include base
class cross module support anytime soon. I hope I am not misunderstood,
I don't want to put you under pressure or something, I just need your
honest opinion if it's better for me to switch to another scripting
language / export system to make my deadline ( since scripting is an
integral part of my engine I would need a working solution within at the
most one month)

And if not do you have any opinions on scripting languages / export
systems other than Boost:python ?

I need the following functionality:

* L+anguage should be OO, and support inheritance from C++ classes
* C++ classes should be easily exported
* Cross module support (including base class)
* Inheritance hierarchy support for C++
* Win32 and Free
* And a plus: Support constructor/destructor callbacks or let me specify
my own for the C++ side ( so that I can alter the steps before a new C++
class is allocated or deleted)

I know the following systems:
JAVA: Complex invocation API ....
RUBY: Not able to work in a multi DLL environment
JAVASCRIPT: No Inheritance
LUA: No OO, able to fake it but not the "real thing"
PYTHON: You know the deal,

Anything else ?

Thanks in advance
Bernhard Glück