From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-18 09:37:31

Ulli,

the problem with this approach is that the Jam architecture does not allow
the running of shell commands at any point where this information can be
used. The info would have to be located in an environment variable at the
time Jam is invoked in order to be interpreted by any of the Jam code.

I have often wished for some way to call into the system during the rule
evaluation phase, so I could find out things like "which version of Python
is installed", etc., but this would be a fairly significant change to the
Jam architecture and would certainly invite abuse. Maybe the best thing
would be to invoke Jam from a script that does a few of these jobs and
passes the results in variables on the Jam command-line. On the other hand,
there's something to be said for being able to do the whole job with a
single tool. I wonder what David Turner thinks of this?

-Dave