From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-20 09:40:44

At 04:14 PM 7/18/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

>jeff_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>> As previously mentioned by someone
>> else, the key reason for formatting requirements is consistency amongst
>> development team, and so this is certainly less of an issue for boost
>except
>> during library review.
>
>Human readability isn't the only issue. Compilers ignore comments
>and formatting style. Compilers aren't the only useful tools.
>Documentation extraction tools are also useful, and they
>require different standards to operate correctly, such as
>assuming which comments are associated with which entities.
>
>If boost users want to be able to extract interface documentation
>from source, then boost needs rules -- not guidelines --
>about things like comment placement.

I don't think automatic extraction is likely anytime soon, even if a few
developers are using the technique.

There was once some Boost discussion of improved documentation tools,
particularly DocBook/XML. http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

If we want to put effort into documentation tools, I think DocBook/XML
should be the starting point rather than worrying about automatic
extraction.

--Beman