From: Torsten Schindler (Torsten.Schindler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-08-20 03:46:19

Hi Max,

> Sure, I already gave it: replace
> all functions with procedures. This means adding an extra
> pointer argument, and storing the result where it points
> intead of returning a value. Where the function is used,
> you must decouple the expression into a list of
> procedure calls which store the results in temporary
> variables: this is what the C++ compiler does for when it
> unravels an expression, but now you have to do it yourself.

Thanks for your explanation now I understand the idea behind your
method.

http://www.netlib.org/tomspdf/457.pdf Version 2

> Don't forget that 'break' and 'continue'
> are 'slightly better structured gotos', and the
> most common 'goto' of all is 'return', which jumps
> to the end of a routine.

You are absolutely right. But using 'break' and 'continue'
helps yourself and other programmers to understand your code,
during 'goto' can sometimes be very confusing e.g. there are
no comments in the code (as in my case).

> If you try to avoid all these
> 'goto' variants, and program strictly with proper
> block structure, you'll find how weak the C/C++
> control structures really are.

:-)

Ciao,

Torsten