From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-02 07:13:09

> From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
>
>Ihsan Ali Al Darhi wrote:
>> I am going to write a library to convert between different calendars. Anyone
>> interested in this?
>
>If you mean by this a library to convert between e.g. Muslim, Buddhist,
>Chinese dynasty-based and "Western" style calendars: Go ahead.
>I don't have an immediate need for it, but we did have requests
>for a date/time handling infrastructure recently, so this would fit
>in nicely as an extension for those who need it.
>
>Make sure what you're doing is extensible: Someone will certainly
>come up with a new calendar, and the new code required to plug that in
>should be minimal and well-localized.

Is the intent to base the implementation on Calendrical Calculations by
Dershowitz and Reingold (Cambridge, and now in second edition, I
believe)? This provides more than enough examples of the variation that
should be accommodated for such a library.

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  http://www.curbralan.com fax: +44 870 052 2289
  Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review