From: Dean Foster (foster_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-02 20:12:15

> For example, in the cgs system widely used for electromagnetic
> calculations, electric charge has dimensions of length^(3/2) *
> mass^(1/2) / time^2.

Out of curiousity, does SIunits provide its own pow() function? Or
does it only provide sqrt()? I've never understood how one would have
static units and still support a pow() function.

I've been spending the past three weeks teaching transformations in
statistics. So we have been using a lot of things like Y^(1/4),
log(Y) and other "power" transformations. So I'm not entirely
unsympthetic to fractional units. BTW, what are the units of a
log(dollars)?

dean

Dean Foster dean_at_[hidden]
Statistics, Wharton, U. Penn 215 898 8233
Philadelphia PA 19104-6302 http://diskworld.wharton.upenn.edu