From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-10-09 09:50:35

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daryle Walker" <darylew_at_[hidden]>

> on 9/30/01 10:39 PM, David Abrahams at david.abrahams_at_[hidden] wrote:
> > Ed Brey:
> >
> > None of this code compiles with VC6sp5. As review manager, I suggest you
> > /consider/ recruiting someone to help you port it. Although this
compiler
> > has numerous conformance problems, enough people use it that your
library
> > will have a considerably smaller audience than it otherwise might.
>
> Since I don't use Windows (or an IBM-style PC), it's very hard for me to
> play "guess the MSVC6 fix." However, I want to support all the platforms
> that the rational and pool libraries did, since I'm trying to replace the
> specialty GCD/LCM routines they had. So if someone could provide a fix
> that's close to my style, that's OK.

If you are replacing functionality that used to work with this platform, I
would not feel right about incorporating the change until there was a fix in
place. Somebody did the work to make sure the appropriate workarounds were
in place. Undoing that work would not only be bad for users; it would
display disrespect for the original author. I would be very reluctant to
follow that course.

If indeed there was an MSVC-compatible version, you could supply that
implementation, or a similar one, within #ifdefs. That would save you from
most of the guesswork. If not, please forget I mentioned it ;-)

> > "GCD Function Object:
> > - even if any -> even if either
> > - should (partially) specialize -> should specialize [since full
> > specialization
> > is fine; the word "partial" confused me more than it helped].
> > In the paragraph describing usage of Compile-Time Extrema Templates,
Usage,
> > two
> > sentences are comma splices (run-on sentences)."
>
> See above for the MSVC policy.
>
> I did most of the documentation corrections. I didn't do the last one
> because I don't understand what you're saying there.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/runons.htm

-Dave