From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-08 09:33:01

Rats! I went to significant trouble to try to keep requirements on Boost Jam features out of this release, but I guess I messed it up :(.

The documentation is not quite up-to-date, but updated instructions for building Boost Jam have been checked in and can be viewed at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/boost/boost/tools/build/index.html?rev=1.6

Here are the relevant bits:

a.. Download FTJam and install the binary executable where it will be found when invoked from the command line.

  a.. For easy-to-build source files, see the FTJam site on SourceForge.
  b.. For Linux and Win32 pre-built executables, see the ftjam section of the FreeType file list.
  c.. If there is no pre-built FTJam executable for your platform, don't bother downloading the source. Instead, read the Jam build instructions and apply them directly to the Boost Jam sources in the tools/build/jam_src subdirectory.

b.. If you acquired FTJam in the previous step, go to the tools/build/jam_src subdirectory and invoke
jam -sBOOST_ROOT= -sBOOST_BUILD_PATH= -sJAMBASE=

c.. which will build a new copy of Jam with the Boost extensions enabled. If FTJam complains about a missing toolset variable, follow its directions by adding the appropriate settings, e.g.:
jam -sBOOST_ROOT= -sBOOST_BUILD_PATH= -sJAMBASE= -sJAM_TOOLSET=VISUALC -sVISUALC=c:/tools/msvc

d.. Replace the FTJam executable with the one in the newly-created bin.platform subdirectory.