From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-24 12:55:36

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gennadiy E. Rozental" <rogeeff_at_[hidden]>

> Ok. Boost Test Library to be reviewed soon is implemented offline.
> I.e. to create a test program you will need to LINK with an
> appropriate component of the library.

How many components are there? What are they?

> So, what I need is a script to build all the components of the
> Boost Test Library and all scripts used to work with old inline-
> implemented library should be updated to be linked with the
> appropriate components.

By "script" do you mean a Jamfile, or do you have something else in mind?

> If you have a time, you can look into vault area with contains
> current version of the library and with MSVC projects included (I do
> not think thay will be a part of submission).

The build system is documented and people have used it; please don't make me
do all the work. If you can at least provide a verbal description, e.g.:
"I need to generate a static link library called xxxx from the source files
x.cpp y.cpp, z.cpp. Targets using the test tools need to #define BLAH and
WHATEVER.", then I could probably whip something up for you.

> Andrei tried to compile the framework inline. I.e. instead of
> linking with stand0alone library included all the sources files. IT's
> possible, but is not recomended. It cause longer compilation ( in
> comparison with compilation without included sources) and I want to
> encourage users to use the library offline. So I need a simple, well -
> defined way to link with test library components. It could be some
> king of script-template. So anybody could easily create cript that
> will compile and link a test program.

Linking with a static library dependency under the build system is trivial.
Is that what you want to do?

> Regards,
>
> Gennadiy.
>
> P.S. More details on what source files used to build components or
> how to name them I provide when we finilize the general structure. I
> am sorry, I am not that familiar with Build System and probably using
> wrong terminology.

here's an example:

# Jamfile in $(BOOST_ROOT)/tools/test:
lib test_tools : test1.cpp test2.cpp test3.cpp ;

# foo's Jamfile
exe foo : foo.cpp bar.cpp <lib>$(BOOST_ROOT)/tools/test/test_tools ;

-Dave