From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-18 16:18:54

----- Original Message -----
From: "dmoore99atwork" <dmoore_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 3:32 PM
Subject: [boost] Boost.Build Questions

> I have two questions regarding the Jam-based build system. I'm using
> MSVC 6.0Sp5, with STLport.
>
> I build the libraries successfully by running:
> "jam -sBOOST_ROOT=. -sTOOLS="msvc-stlport"
> from my BOOST_ROOT directory.
>
> 1. Is there the equivalent of "make install" which would gather all
> of the .lib and .dll files from the deeply nested directories and
> deliver them somewhere like BOOST_ROOT\lib? For example, my RegEx
> binary is in boost\libs\thread\build\bin\libboost_regex.lib\msvc-
> stlport\release\runtime-link-dynamic\stlport-iostream-off\stlport-
> version-4.0\libboost_regex.lib

Not yet. We're thinking about it, but nobody has yet figured out what
installation of boost should really mean, especially on Win32 platforms. If
you have any well-formed ideas, pleas bring them up on
jamboost_at_yahoogroups.com.

The build system is supposed to be usable with other projects, and shortly
there will be a revision which allows you to use Boost's Jamfiles to build
the boost components of your own projects and to link with them indirectly.
For those development scenarios, it might be best to leave the built
artefacts where they are.

> 2. Same question, but for "make clean"

    jam -sTOOLS=msvc-stlport clean

HTH,