From: boost (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-04 02:58:40

Salut,

General Comment:
Before accpeting Multi-array I would like
to have a discussion on the integration of
Multi-Array / MTLv3 / ublas. We should avoid ending up
with 3 unrelated Matrix packages.

On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:39, Toon Knapen wrote:

> Performance :
> Along the same line ; The last few weeks there was a discussion about
> the performance and e.g. Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleven suggested an indexing
> operation that was much more performant compared to the usual list of
> square bracket indices.
> As I assume multi-array will be used in numerics, it would also be nice
> to have performance comparisons between multi-array and e.g. blitz++,
> MTL, plain C arrays and fortran.

I'd also interested to see such comparisons. It's important
for those who have to apply for supercomputer grants.

> Relation with MTL and ublas :
> Two other matrix-related projects are going on and I think it would be
> good too check what the relation is of multi-array to these before it is
> accepted.
> I think it is good that there are sometimes overlapping libraries in
> development as this provides you with invaluable feedback on
> best-practices too achieve a specific goal. But the whole of libraries
> that are accepted inside boost after a review should be consistent and
> should have minimal overlapping while having maximal reused inbetween
> libraries.

I agree.

Best wishes,
Peter