From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-18 17:07:00

I've uploaded the draft document for the next generation of
boost::thread for discussion.

Notes:

* This isn't a complete document. I've included only the bare
minimum required to discuss the design.

* The format is different from the current Boost.Threads. This
format is one that I've been working on for possible use by Boost
developers wanting a "starting place" for writing their own
documentation. I'll be uploading extensive info on this probably
next week some time.

* This next generation tried to bring some semantics to be more
inline with POSIX since there's some significant dislike for the
current design. These changes should make it easier for a thread_ref
design built on top of this design to be implemented. One of the
things this new design does is to formalize the concept of adoption,
which is actually necessary when we add cancellation since this will
require thread state that currently doesn't exist in the native
implementations (I can clarify this if the documentation doesn't).
The changes have been designed to have little impact on current code,
with nothing removed from the public interface and all semantic
changes as compatible with the current semantics so as possible in
order to make it unlikely that they will break any code already
written.

Comments/complaints/suggestions expected and welcome.

Bill Kempf