From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-19 18:54:01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins_at_[hidden]>

> > Have you read our build system criteria?
> >
> > http://www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm#design_criteria
> >
> > Are there still no reasons to use Boost.Build (and this part is
important:)
> > from the point-of-view of the needs it's trying to satisfy?
>
> I've read the criteria. They sound like they were written for Jam. :-)

Actually they were written after extensive discussion and argument on the
Boost list, and most of them were written before we ever discovered Jam. If
you want to, you can look at our Yahoogroups message archives for all the
gory details.

> The odd criterion in the Boost.Build list of requirements is
>
> The build should rely only on tools native to the platform and
> compiler, or supplied via the boost download.

You'll have to ask the other Boost members about that one, or again, look at
the message archives. I had been trying to convince them to use a system
based on Python, but they wouldn't have it. I don't remember the reasons any
longer, but anything that involved installing anything as heavy as Python or
Cygwin lost the vote by a wide margin.

> Clearly that is a good idea for audience (2) and (3). It is a bit
> limiting (IMHO) to require it for boost developers. In essence, it
> forces you to reimplement wheels that have already been at least
> partially invented. However, I'm not about to say what you ought
> to do with your time ;-)

I have mixed feelings about that. Though I guess I'd rather have something
that works OOTB, I don't think the job's ever really been done well, and
it's an interesting problem. Besides that, I want something I know I can use
for all of my projects.

> For me, the main thing is that I can get shared libs built
> with proper SONAMES. As far as I can see, it involves tweaking
> the jam files some. If someone has already done this, please let
> me know where and what to change. Thanks.

I need to know the following:

1. Which of the compilers supported in the
BOOST_ROOT/tools/build/*-tools.jam files need to have the SONAMES option
added?

2. What are the options for the respective compilers?

3. What are the right version numbers to assign?