From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-28 12:38:16

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Gregor" <gregod_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] function/bind ideas

> On Monday 28 January 2002 12:03 pm, you wrote:
> > As an optimization, it should be possible to detect free and member
> > function arguments to the constructor of function<> and treat them as
> > though they were passed with ref(), eliminating the need for dynamic
> > allocations in many cases.
>
> function<> has this optimization for free functions already.
>
> At one point I tried the same optimization for member function pointers as
> well, but ran into problems portably storing member function pointers so
that
> they could safely be converted back to their original types.

It's supposed to be possible to convert any member function pointer to
another and back again without loss of information... but I'm sure you knew
that.
If you had trouble, my guess is that on some platform the largest pmf points
to a polymorphic function, and possibly one of a class with a virtual base.

All the rest of your remarks understood. Thanks for listening.

-Dave