From: Brad King (brad.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-08 16:24:31

> There are two ways to handle compile-only testcases:
> 1) Just compile the object files along with building the rest of Boost.
> Pro: if there are errors, they show up in the "errors" list highlighted by
> Dart. Con: don't show up in the list of tests.
> 2) Perform the compilation of these object files separately, and the
> compiler output becomes the test output. Pro: they show up on the test list
> on the dashboard. Con: they don't show up in the "errors" list.
>
> We chose #1, but I'm beginning to think we were wrong to do so.

For #2, it is worth noting that although the errors don't show up in the
"errors" column, the test's output will be the build log for it. This
means that when the test fails, one can go read the output to see the
compiler error. It is just that the errors won't be parsed and counted
automatically by Dart.

A compile test is an isolated, single file build. The output won't be too
large, so it will be easy to find the compiler errors. I definately think
we should change to option #2.

Once the new boost build system is implemented, I plan to write the test
front/back end framework previously discussed. The back end for Dart will
treat compile tests with option #2.

-Brad