From: Ernie Makris (ernie_makris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-08 20:47:35

Hello Fellow Boosters,

I'd like to propose the design and development of a logging library
to be included in boost.

I've been thinking about what boost lacks, and this is one area of utility
that I think would benefit the boost community.

There are a great many examples of logging examples. Some designs I have
been thinking about are:
- based on iostreams coupled with the work being done with the format
library
  by Samuel Krempp.
  It would look like the following:
  log << log_debug << log_format("%e %1") % "config file not found";

  where there would be a log formatter that would have extra format
specifiers.
  For example, the %e above could print the errno for a failed file
operation.

  The log stream would support levels, and a default level. etc...
Everything
  you would expect from a capable logger.

- Something similar to log4j. There is already a log4cpp, which is a port
  of log4j to C++.

Some basic requirements:
- Some basic sink types (file, console, ring buffer...)
- Ability to log based on levels
- Ability to turn logging on/off dynamically
- Focus should be on good performance, and usability of the API. Make it
  easy to setup and use logs.
- Useful, built in format specifiers.
- As fast a possible.
- Parameterizeable thread safety. Don't penalize programs that do not need
thread
  safe logs.

Is there any interest in such a library.

Thanks
Ernie